CHP and Standby Diesel Generator ControlsNeoDyne provide control systems and turnkey plant solutions for large scale industrial CHP with Island mode and critical service standby diesel generators. A control centred solution has been developed with superior performance, incorporating features from leading edge designs for data centres and grid power plants coupled with our experience involving over 60MW of generation, about 100 individual plants and over 15 years.
Standby generators are normally stopped, rarely called upon and reliability depends on the equipment responding correctly when demanded by a Mains failure. Standby Power control is designed so that it is impossible to generate spurious interruptions of grid power and the probability of failure to respond correctly upon grid mains failure is effectively zero.
CHP plant must operate continuously with minimal downtime. Redundancy is usually not economic. The design minimises sensitivity to external events e.g. with voltage dip ride-through, widened gas pressure tolerance etc. Very comprehensive supervision is installed so that if a fault occurs it will be quickly identified and rapidly repaired. CHP with Island Mode controls are very robustly designed so that the probability of Island blackout is no more than one event in 5 years and power outage averages less than 30 seconds per 5 years.
Key performance factors addressed by the design include:
- Unforeseen non-availability conditions rather than equipment failures tend to dominate for Standby Power e.g. a circuit breaker control switch in Local rather than Remote. Supervision must eliminate unrevealed non-availability.
- External faults e.g. Grid, switchgear and boiler tend to dominate for CHP plants.
- Dependencies e.g. a PLC fault should not trip Grid power.
- Recovery facilities e.g. a PLC restart should not cycle through tripping actions.
- Un-revealed pre-eminent fault conditions – inadequate diagnostics.
- Human factors in interpreting information on screens.
- Transient energisation capability and stability.
- Burn-in, Debugging and Testing restrictions.
- Spurious activation in the absence of Grid Mains fail.